CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tate City

We went back up to the Tallulah River this weekend with George and his family. However, this time we took the "short" route. We made it all the way to Tate City, population +/- 32. My cousin, Jeremy had told me about it, and being that it is so remote and up in the hills, I was expected to hear dueling banjos and see people with 3rd eyes. Not the case. Most of the 32 residents obviously have a lot of money-the town mainly consists of horse farms and beautiful estates, and a lot of free time on their hands-the nearest store is a 30-45 minute drive back down the mountain. There is a cute little cabin for sale which is more representative of the style and character of a remote mountain village. If I had money to spend on a vacation home, this would be it. But for such a great location, $165,000 doesn't seem that bad at all. I guess I also need to start a vacation cabin fund. Anyway, after our tour of town, we headed back down the river to fish. After seeing all the caught trout last week, and the number of people having success, we were quite excited. However, Saturday was one of those day where the fish just weren't biting. You could look down and count 30 fish in the holes, but they just weren't interested in eating. And people were trying everything: corn, dough bait, crickets, spinners, flys, and on and on. There was one little old lady who had caught 5, but out of the 40 people or so fishing, she was the only one. I would imagine the fact that she had been sitting in the same spot for a few hours was her trick.
I did get to play around with my camera trying to capture moving water again. Obviously I don't know what I am doing, as none of the pictures turned out. I could get the speed correct, but too much light was coming in and I don't know how to change that setting. The fact that the pictures last week turned out so well was sheer luck. So, I have decided I need to sign up for a class on basic camera operation.
After fishing, we headed back to Clayton and then made a detour to Sky Valley to check out the piece of property that Jack is a shareholder in. There is a neat old covered bridge and a huge waterfall that goes down the mountain called Estatoah Falls. You can even see the waterfall when you turn up the road to Sky Valley.
On our way back to the city, we stopped at a farm and picked up some fresh fruit and veggies which we thoroughly enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Sunday.

0 comments: