CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Don't step on downed power lines

My life just flashed before my eyes. This morning, on my way to work, I was waiting to turn right at a red light. I could not turn right b/c there were quite a few cars coming, one of them being a large utility truck with a crane. Apparently, the driver did not have the crane down all the way and it caught on all the power lines in the intersection. He did not realize and kept driving, taking all the lines with him. The lines started to break from the transformers and the poles and went flying through the air. There was a huge popping noise and sparks flying everywhere. I started to freak out and rolled my windows up b/c the flying, sparking lines were flying straight for me and the open window. Then there was more noise and sparks as the lines all came crashing down on my hood and the roof of my car. I guess it was lucky the guy driving the death crane truck still didn't realize b/c he continued to drag the lines off of my car. All I could think was get the hell out of this intersection so I turned right to get around the truck. Then I noticed there was a mini-van dragging another line. So I just squeezed between the van and death truck and was free!
I didn't know what to do, so I kept driving to the office, which thank goodness was only another mile away. I could feel my nerves getting the better of me the closer I got to the office. I kept thinking the electric shock was somehow delayed and at any moment I might still get fried. (I know, not rational, but I was still very freaked out.) When I got to the office, I just walked in and collapsed on the floor and had a break-down. Somehow I managed to tell Brent what happened and we went outside and looked at my car. It does have some black streaks across the hood and one scratch-but it appears most of it will clean up. Scary.

0 comments: