CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 21, 2008

Hiawassee Weekend

This past weekend, we took a trip to Hiawassee-for those of you who don't know-it is a small town in the north Georgia mountains where my family was born and bred. Friday night we hung out at the lake with the Girles (that is my Aunt and Uncle's last name) and enjoyed a beautiful sunset. Afterwards, Jack instructed the kids on how to build a fire. Saturday morning we watched the parade downtown, which featured a lot of cool antique cars and horses. After the parade we took a ride to Upper Hightower and then followed the dirt road, well not dirt so much as rocky and a little scary, along Charlie's Creek and over the Tallulah River. My little car did great, although there was one time I thought we might not make it. I'm glad Jack was driving. I even got to pull out my tripod and practice taking pictures of moving water-something new to me. The shots turned out pretty good, however it started raining and we ran out of time so I didn't get quite as many as I would have liked. Once we crossed the river, we road up towards Tate City and then back down over Clayton Mountain to Hiawassee. The drive was very picturesque as we followed along the rivers and creeks for most of it. The old forest is so dense, it most have been at least 10 degrees cooler up there than in town. There were lots of people fishing, each with their limit of trout on their lines. Unfortunately, we forgot our poles, but we will definitely be heading back to this spot to try our luck and maybe even stay the night camping.























0 comments: