CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Critter Control....again

How come everywhere I go, I am surrounded by critters?

A few months ago, there was the bat in the house (see earlier post and associated video). And then there is the rat story from when I lived with the roomies on Ashford Dunwoody. (Remember, Monty ate my bed, and chewed a hole in the wall). Oh, and the nasty wharf rats (honestly, they were HUGE) at my old office that we saw on a near daily basis. And a few years ago, there was the baby opossum in the house that we caught and set free.

Well, they are back. Almost all of them.

The other day, whilst hanging out on the deck enjoying the weather and a cocktail, Gerdie became obsessed with a particular area. Specifically, she was staring through the deck boards, clawing at the deck, and not leaving that spot. I poured water on the deck in an attempt to remove any smells, etc. that she couldn't seem to leave alone. Which didn't work. So Big Connie decided to go under the deck and check it out.

And she found this:

Yes, that's a bundle of bats, baby bats, and they are living under the deck. GROSS!!! There is a huge pile of poo under them too. But Jack said to leave them b/c they eat mosquitoes and such. So, I guess they are going to stay for now.

Oh, and Big Connie said she saw them flying back in for the day when she was running on the elliptical machine the other morning, at daybreak. Freaky.

And by Freaky I mean:

A. That she saw them on the move.

B. That she was up that early AND working out.

So that is critter number 1 back to haunt me. Now on to critter number 2.

Yesterday, Jeremy had stopped at CVS on his way home, and nosy that I am, peaked in his bag at his prizes. To discover a mouse trap. I said, "Oh, do you have mice at home?" (while feeling sorry for him and his critter problems). And his reply, "No, you have mice downstairs."

Um, excuse me? Pardon moi? Repita por favor?

I think I stared at him for a good 2 minutes with my mouth wide open (good thing I was not outside while the bats were on the move....)

He said he was just laying down for bed, heard something, flicked on the light, saw the mouse on top of the entertainment center, threw his wallet at the mouse, which scared the everliving poo out of it, and it was trying so hard to get away, it was just skidding and sliding all over the place. Again, FREAKY. No, actually, GROSS.

So he set up the trap, I assume. I did not see him again last night or this morning, and he is gone until Monday. Great, Monday...that is 4 days away! So I guess we will have to wait and see until then...unless I hear a loud slap of a closing trap or smell something rotting. Because there is no way I am going in there.

Critter numero tres, the opossum, has stayed away....for now. And lets hope it stays that way!

0 comments: